Friday, May 13, 2011

No One Ever Tells You

When I stopped taking pictures and started making photographs four years ago I realized there are a few things people never tell you about photography. I bring this up four years later because I was solemnly reminded of the big one just recently. Are you ready for the big secret… Are you?

OK here it is: You are behind the camera only 20% of the time. The rest is spent in post-production, customer service, framing, paper work, showboating and depression induced comas. I have no doubt someone will say this is not the case in their studio but I am also willing to bet that they either have assistants, continually disappoint customers, or have books that would make their accountant have a heart attack. Ask Yvette she will you a healthy studio needs a good business man/woman at the helm.

But wait there is more, the 20% of the time you do get to be behind the camera you are only taking pictures half of that. WHY! I know your asking it. Because setting up a tripod, setting up lights, arranging elements, waiting for the right light, they all take up time.

So where does this leave us? Well there is only on obvious answer to all this. Throw away your thousands of dollars in camera equipment (don’t mind me rummaging through your trash the next day) and give up photography for good. Your spouse will probably thank me.

Of course I jest, photograph more! Then send in your favorite pictures to info@poorlittlepawns.com and if they are really good we will post them for all the pawns of the world to see!

-Scotti

No comments:

Post a Comment